Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Mandalay

Yes! :) I am finally in Myanmar, a trip that I have in mind for so long! Now is time to make it real, let's gooo!!! :)

I arrived to Mandalay from Bangkok and once dropped at the Air Asia bus stop at the city I decided to walk to my guesthouse to have a first feel of the city... it is relatively quite and actually I was expecting a lot of tall buildings... but nop, just small ones and it doesn't kind of feel like a big city... the people are relaxed, only a few taxi drives pop to offer me a taxi but it was easy to get rid of them :) you say no and they go, not like in other countries.

The guesthouse was relatively close, like 15 minutes walk, made it there and called my guide to meet at 7PM and decide what we will do tomorrow! :)

Then I walked, bought a Myanmar SIM card for my Nokia and walked... saw the palace from outside, its huge and very nice and then I wanted to go to the Mandalay Hill for sunset as this seems to be the place to be! and of course I was late.... a few motorbike taxis told me ''you are late, let me take you there!'' jaja and I am ''No guy, just please understand I want to walk :)'' and I really wanted to walk up the 700 stairs... it's an experience on its own :) so I made it and it was true, it was late.... so I took off my flip flops and walked up the 700 stairs... well I kind of run up :) the walk its very beautiful, the stairs are loong and there are several small temples on the sides and some stops with beautiful views over Mandalay on the side... and yes, in 15 minutes I made it to the top, record :) I had time to enjoy my first beautiful sunset in this place I already like so much :)






On the way back, I found one of the motorbike taxis and decide to go with him! He dropped me in the night market which was actually very quiet! I walked around and saw some interesting foods... but all mainly with meat so couldn't really eat there.



Time to go back to the guesthouse to meet with Hla Myo, to plan for tomorrow :)

And the day started early, Hla Myon was waiting for me with his motorbike :) yuppy! I love the feeling of riding a motorbike! He checked that I was properly dressed covering my knees and shoulders and off we went!

So nice to see the early morning activity with everyone having breakfast at the tea houses, people starting to work the land and some motorbike traffic but nothing crazy! We started the day by going to the most important Pagoda in the Mandalay area, Mahamuni Paya... they say if you don't go there, you haven't been in Mandalay! and it was beautiful, my first Myanmar Pagoda... I walked around.. and seems I took a long time! jajajaj was nice to see the monks and the people singing and giving to the Buddha. 



And we continued and passed so many beautiful places.... on the way to Amarapura temples we saw the U-Bein bridge in the morning, with its mist... stunning... we will come back for sunset, but nice to see the fishermen in the early morning :) We crossed so many temples and went to a place that was a mini Myanmar. The places I liked the most were these very old stupas and pagodas that are a bit hidden and not renovated.. they have certain magic and mystery that caught my attention :)










Before lunch, we went to a monastery to see how the monks get ready for their lunch which is the last meal of the day. After this, they can only drink tea and some juices, but no food until breakfast. They have a very heavy routine, with lots of studies, exams, meditation and work. Some monasteries get food from people that donate and others they have to get out and ask for food around the cit. That's why in every city you see monks walking around with the big metallic baskets where they collect food for the people at the monastery. So, lunch time, they have to queue from older to youngest, in absolute silence. They drop the sandals at the entry and then get food and go in, sit and eat, in absolute silence. Its very special to see this.... so many people eating and no sound at all.... very, very special. And no, it was not fake touristic like in Laos, this was truly authentic and how they live. After they have finished they have to go and wash all the dishes before they continue with some meditation.... very nice to see this... a different world!





We kept going, went to another pagoda on top of a mountain, so I was happy! :) shoes off, walk up :) 





We went to Inwa which is on the other side... haaa crossing that bridge full speed on the motorbike was the best!!! Hla Myo was worried he was going too fast so we could see it all, but I told him I love the speed :) jajajaja feeeedooom! :):) It made me so happy!

At some point during the day, we stopped in a place where they were selling sugar cane juice :) so on the way back from the temples, Hla Myo was waiting with a take away bag of it :) Yummy!!!!




And off we went back to U-Bein bridge to see the sunset... here I really wanted to rent a boat and see it from the water, even if there were other tourist... the place was beautiful and my second sunset in this new land was stunning, magic!!! Wowwww! So nice to just be there for about an hour and see the sun go down and how all changes around.... I truly enjoyed this moment! :):)



And the sun goes down and so the day is over.... time to go back, eat some veggies and get ready to continue the adventure tomorrow on the way to Bagan! :)

One thing, I wouldn't have had such a good time without my guide! so I can absolutely recommend him, if you go to Mandalay contact him. He knows a lot about the place, speaks great English and he is a fun person to be around!



Good night! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment